Last time I described the vicious feline attack on my favorite encaustic piece, Accidental Sea. Yesterday, several people gave good advice on how to TRY to fix the damage, and a dog person suggested recipes for cooked cat.
Because the damage is closer to the middle than the edge, I couldn’t use my regular-sized iron. Betsy suggested using a small tacking iron, which would probably be the ideal tool. If I had one. I couldn’t touch up with new paint because the yellow wax is made from dry pigment while the blue is made from wax medium-tube oil. Presumably the paint had a drying oil of some kind in it. These two paints may have aged differently. To top it off, I was stressed out because I sent an image of Accidental Sea to a show.
So I decided to repair the damage with a mini butane torch, allow the piece to thoroughly cool and then, if necessary, attempt to smooth the area with an iron.
By holding my breath, refraining from coffee, and offering up my first born son (I’ll tell him later), I was able to get very close to the damage and direct the torch point to the channel edges. It didn’t take much. As the paint melted, it back-filled the channels. The lifted wax around the site bonded to the substrate again. It actually worked! Here’s a before and after:
If you get really close, you’ll see the surface is a little wavy over the damaged area but I decided not to muck around with my iron. Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I am happy to report that Marzipan is back to his daily Chef’s Plate and all is forgiven.